Vusi Thembekwayo is an acclaimed business mogul and global speaker. It is true. But that is not Vusi.
Vusi is many things. From a maverick, a leadership genius, a petrol head, a familly man, a self-made millionaire to a dragon.
Acknowledged as one of the most influential venture capitalists in the African continent, Thembekwayo serves on the board of SAVCA (the South African Venture Capitalist Association) and is Managing Partner of Watermark Capital Partners, a pan-African private equity firm with assets across the sub-continent.
As part of his entrepreneurship foundation, Thembekwayo is the Chairman of MyGrowthFund, a community-centric venture capital firm and business accelerator.
Vusi Thembekwayo has been making waves internationally and regionally from an early age of 17, as a thought-provoking young business leader from South Africa with many ideas on solving economic issues in Africa.
He has collected numerous accolades and awards from several global stages as a businessperson, entrepreneur and international public speaker.
So let’s begin… Vusi is a disruptor.
At 25 he ran a R400mn division in a R17bn multi-national and today is widely regarded as one of the most disruptive forces in venture capital in Africa. He was amongst the youngest directors of a listed company in South Africa and now serves on several boards.
Currently, he is the CEO of a boutique investment & advisory firm in Africa. Leading by example, his firm forces medium, large and listed businesses into much needed, often painful, always lucrative new directions.
Having graced the covers of Entrepreneur Magazine, with features on Forbes and Inc500, his social media engagement often mirrors that of a Rockstar.
Vusi is a consummate speaking professional! On and off stage. He doesn’t just talk business – he lives it. For real, he walks, talks and breathes it! You see he does more than simply inspire revolution, he’s the guy that initiates it.
He has been the catalyst for change in businesses across the globe through expertise in strategy, leadership and sales.
A staggering 21 global cities have experienced Vusi. Oh and add New York, London, Paris, Lagos, Jersey, Guernsey, Rio de Janeiro, Dar es Salaam, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Colombo, Nairobi, Kampala, San Francisco to the list.
That’s what you get when you talk about things that make perfect sense.
We believe that Vusi’s credentials and experience speak for themselves, so, we’ll let them.
- 2019 Setting a new personal best 96% rating at the PCMA International Convention in Pittsurgh, Pennsylvania.
- 2017 Testing the boundaries of a global brand Vusi embarked on a successful Global Tour which included the New York, London, Casablanca, Sydney, Auckland and Dubai. In this same year, Vusi become a father of Mnqobi Thembekwayo or as he is known to many. The Chairman of the Board.
- 2015 Top12 International Speaker MeetingsNet Editors recognise Vusi in the Top 12 International Speaker Award.
- 2014 Founded MGF Venture Partners Passionate about the development of a robust innovation, education & entrepreneurship eco-system in Africa, Vusi founds MGF Venture Partners.
- 2014 Dragon on Dragon’s Den Africa Starred as a Dragon investor on the African edition of the popular reality TV series, Dragon’s Den.
- 2014 Admitted to NSA New York Accepted to join the National Speakers Association of New York based on his USD earnings.
- 2013 Invited to speak at the World Bank Only African speaker to speak by Invitation at the World Bank.
- 2012 Birth of his daughter On the 3rd April 2012, Vusi became the father of the most beautiful girl in the world (as he often calls her) Amahle Thembekwayo.
- Later that morning he also acquires his choice rifle in anticipation of the suitors that would no doubt find his address when his daughter turns eighteen. The rifle is in safe storage until then.
- 2010 Director, Metcash Group Successfully turned the New Business Division of Metcash Group into a R461million a year turnover business (highest EDITDA) in the group.
Net Worth And Entrepreneurship
Vusi Thembekwayo is one of the richest young men in South Africa and Africa as a whole. His net worth is estimated at $600 million. He influences over $350 million in the seven organizations he holds shares in. His companies operate in Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda and Kenya.
Controversy And Sizwe Dhlomo’s Beef
His popularity, humour, charisma and thought-provoking content has gained him more enemies than friends, especially on social media.
Quite recently, he exchanged distasteful tweets in a twar with arch-enemy and business tycoon Sizwe Dhlomo. Their beef has always been scorching hot since 2013.
It all started when Vusi Thembekwayo attempted to provide inspiration by writing about his hard-knock life and humble beginnings. The businessman and motivational speaker detailed how he was broke back in 2007 when he was starting his business.
Vusi Thembekwayo has always been accused of faking his accomplishments to suit his “brand”, but he doesn’t spend time in addressing the allegations thrown at him.